Qualifications for Being a Condo Association Board Member
If you live in a condominium association, you may see signs encouraging residents to run for a board member position. Being on a condo association’s board is incredibly important, as you are part of a group elected and responsible for the property, business of the condo, and ensuring bylaws are followed and community members are happy.
It can be a fulfilling role to take on with your condo association; however, there are requirements to becoming a condo association board member.
Experts at one of the leading Tampa condo management companies, Wise Property Management, have put together a comprehensive list of these requirements so you can feel confident you understand what is needed to run when elections are up for your property.
Duties of a Condo Association Board Member
The community’s bylaws define the responsibilities of a condo association board member. Usually, they include but are not limited to voting in board member elections, acting in the condo’s residents’ best interest, making decisions for the community, attending all board meetings, and listening to residents.
The size of your condominium can dictate the size of your board. Depending on the number of members you have, hiring a Tampa condominium management company is in your best interest to run the day-to-day business of the condo.
While you may want to get involved to play a more significant part in your condo property’s management needs, keep reading to determine if you meet the minimum requirements to be a Florida condo association board member.
Soft Skills for a Condo Association Board Member
Joining a condo association board requires specific soft skills or personal characteristics that may come easier to some than others. The following are essential traits for a future board member to possess to be successful at the role:
- Leadership – As a deciding factor for important community-wide decisions internally and externally, being able to steer a group of people while maintaining a solid sense of direction will be necessary.
- Business acumen – Board members will have to navigate making business decisions for the condo community. Maintaining meticulous financial records and selecting services that will serve the community are important traits of a successful condo board member.
- Communication – At times, condo board members will have to deal with conflict, articulate their viewpoints on issues at hand, and speak on behalf of the community. Communicating with everyone in your Tampa condominium management company will be an essential skill for any board member.
- Organization – While business acumen will help you understand aspects like financials or transactional decisions, keeping all these aspects organized is an important skill. There are also legal components and requirements for condo associations, so being able to track how your community remains compliant is crucial.
Other Requirements for a Condo Association Board Member
Hard skills, or skills that can be learned or measured, are also part of a condo board member’s qualifications. The following are needed for anyone to join a condo board in the state of Florida:
- Be 18 years or older – It is important to note that according to Florida regulation, minors are not eligible for board membership or homeownership in a condo association.
- Be a member of the condo association – While there are a few caveats to this rule, owning a condo in the condo association is a must when it comes to serving on a board. To qualify for a board position, you must fully own your property and be on time with payments.
- Pass a background check – You cannot have a criminal background and serve on a condo board. You also can not be removed from another condo association’s board and serve on a different one in the state of Florida.
- Complete a certification course – This requirement, set in place by Florida, ensures all board members are up to date on the latest regulations, laws, and rules of serving on a board in the state. Once you take the certification course to serve on one board, the course remains valid. Only if you leave and become re-elected will you have to retake the certification to be eligible to serve.
If you serve on a condo association’s board of directors, our expert team at Wise Property Management, one of the leading Tampa condo management companies, can help you manage your team, property, and responsibilities.
Our founder, William C. Spivey, is a man who believes in the power of people...LEARN MORE
We are a family-owned and operated company built in the Tampa Bay Area by a working-class Tampa family.LEARN MORE
In today’s day and age, technological advancements are occurring at a rapid rate. These developments...LEARN MORE
At WPM, we understand the sensitivity and importance of a management transition. We will proactively work in...LEARN MORE
SEE WHAT OUR CLIENTS ARE SAYING
Couldn’t have asked for better service. It’s NEVER this easy dealing with property management companies. Great Job! Thanks so much!
Cody Glass from the accounting department was very helpful and professional with a lot of courtesy to help me to understand and set up a new payment process.
I work with Wise on a regular basis, as the nature of our business requires quick turn around times. They are kind and helpful when you need something.
I have always received great service from Wise. Any time I need help someone always answers the phone and directs me to the right department.
My name is George Florence, I am the Board President of Villas of Northdale, and I have been a Board member for 5 years now. We have had perfect help from Wise Property Management.
Wise Property Management is the quintessential image of a professional, organized, comprehensive, deligent and knowledgeable Property Management company.
Kristy D., South Pointe HOA Vice President.
I have been working with Jeanie Hunter of Wise Property for several years now. She has handled all our Tampa Villas South association issues promptly and with great efficiency.
Ken C., Tampa Villas South HOA Vice President.
Very easy to work with and everyone is friendly. We have worked with them for a very long time and love the experience. They take pride in their work and truly enjoy what they do.